CIBSE Knowledge Management Committee
Reports to: CIBSE Board
Purpose of Committee:
The Knowledge Management Committee (KMC) is a Standing Committee of the Board responsible for implementing the knowledge strategy of the Institution. KMC is responsible for the development and maintenance of CIBSE knowledge and for management and financial control of the delivery and peer review process. It is responsible for measuring and assessing the value and impacts of CIBSE Knowledge outputs on all subjects and in all formats. KMC is also responsible for managing the CIBSE Research Fund and for engaging a broader cross section of CIBSE’s global membership in knowledge delivery.
The functions of KMC are supported and informed by the Knowledge Generation Panel (KGP).
Terms of Reference
- To oversee the development, maintenance and resourcing of CIBSE guidance to satisfy the Charter and Charitable objectives to promote the art and science of building services, and to make recommendations to the Board on matters within its remit.
- To deliver the knowledge strategy and priorities of the Institution.
- To oversee quality management and the peer review process.
- To oversee the CIBSE Research Fund and the Richard Tully Fund.
- To seek contributions to the work of the committee from all relevant sources within the Institution, in particular international and interdisciplinary sources.
- To exercise financial oversight of knowledge management activities, having regard to the income and expenditure implications of their actions and subject to approved budget.
- To measure the impact and return on investment of new knowledge outputs of all types, from download and sales figures, to user satisfaction metrics
Committee members should represent a range of age, gender, background, experience and expertise, and include participation from different sectors and specialisms involved in the performance of buildings throughout their whole lifecycle.
- KMC comprises up to 9 members. Additional members may be co-opted to support specific projects.
- Members are appointed for a three year period. At the end of this period they may be reappointed for a further three year period, however a balance between retaining expertise and bringing in fresh ideas is sought.
- The Chair of the Committee is appointed by the CIBSE Board for a three year term.
- The Board is also responsible for appointing members of KMC, but may delegate this responsibility to the Committee itself.
To be considered for appointment to KMC, applicants should normally be in full CIBSE membership and must be able to commit their time to participate in meetings, either in person or remotely. Applications from affiliate members or non-members will be considered by exception.
Attributes of members include:
- Enthusiasm for championing all aspects of building performance.
- Awareness of sector knowledge needs and the latest developments in industry.
- Experience of programme management, strategic decision making and financial control.
- Experience of using or contributing to CIBSE knowledge, guidance and research.
Application to join the Committee requires submission of a CV and short personal statement.
- KMC will meet four times a year and virtual meeting facilities will be available.
- The Committee will be supported by the CIBSE Knowledge and Technical staff.
Director Responsible: Rowan Crowley
Department: CIBSE Services
New Proposals for Knowledge
New project proposals should be made to CIBSE for consideration in the CIBSE Knowledge generation process. More information is available on the Knowledge Generation page.