Skip to content

Assessment for Incorporated Engineer Registration (IEng)

My qualifications have been assessed and confirmed as meeting the requirements for IEng (Incorporated Engineer) Registration.  What next?

How do I obtain IEng?

To gain Engineering Council Registration you need to apply for the appropriate level of CIBSE membership.

What grade of membership can I apply for?

The membership grade you can obtain alongside IEng Registration depends on your experience.  Your options are:​ ​

  • MCIBSE IEng To become a Member you will need to meet the MCIBSE competences. Visit our Member page to download an application pack.
  • ACIBSE IEng To become an Associate you will need to meet the ACIBSE competences. Visit our Associate page to download an application pack.

I do not yet meet the competence criteria for Associate or Member grade, what can I do?

You can apply for graduate membership and gain Interim IEng registration which demonstrates that you meet the academic requirements for IEng registration.

What is graduate membership?

Graduate membership is a transitional grade for those who are working towards Associate (ACIBSE) or Member (MCIBSE). As a graduate member you will have access to all of our member benefits.

What is Interim IEng registration?

Interim registration signifies that you have met the academic requirement of registration and are working towards the competences of an Incorporated Engineer.

I am already a graduate member, how do I obtain Interim IEng registration?

If your qualification has been confirmed as meeting the requirements for IEng, let us know that you now wish to apply for Interim registration by emailing  There is an entry fee payable for registering as Interim IEng.  View our subscription rates and fees

Can I still obtain Chartered Engineer Registration (CEng)?

Yes you can achieve Chartered Engineer Registration.  You will need to apply for MCIBSE via the Alternative Route and can either undertake further learning by completing an accredited MSc or write and submit a Technical Report to demonstrate that you have gained the required Masters’ level knowledge.  You must hold MCIBSE to gain CEng registration with the Engineering Council.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Membership Team at +44(0)20 8772 3650 or at