As a valued member of the global CIBSE community, we want to make sure you only ever receive communications that are relevant to you.
You should manually opt-in to any future communications you wish to receive otherwise we may not be able to contact you.
There are two ways you can update your communication preferences:
- Login to your My Preferences page in the MyCIBSE area and select the types of communications you want to receive in future and the methods by which you are happy for us to communicate with you.
- Alternatively click the Update your preferences/unsubscribe link in any marketing email you receive from CIBSE and this will take you straight to your own preferences page without the need to login. Simply tick the relevant boxes and click submit.
If you have any queries about the opt-in process please email [email protected], tel +44 (0)20 8772 3647 or see the FAQs below.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQs)
Why do I need to update my preferences?
On the 25 May 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), intended to strengthen and unify data protection for all individuals, came into effect. This requires you to manually opt-in to any marketing communications you wish to receive.
What happens if I haven't updated my preferences?
Under GDPR, if you have not opted-in, you may continue to receive relevant marketing communications from CIBSE where we have a legitimate interest to provide you with beneficial information about products or services that either you request or which CIBSE believes may be relevant to you. Our legitimate interests include;
- the promotion of services and activities that are designed to support the science, art and practice of building services engineering.
- the delivery of commercial objectives.
For CIBSE members this could include the following communications.
- CIBSE Enewsletter
- CIBSE Journal ENews and webinars
- Your CIBSE region
- Your CIBSE groups and networks (including Societies).
- CIBSE National Events
- CIBSE Awards
- CIBSE Membership upgrades and offers
- CIBSE Training
- Additional CIBSE and CIBSE Services ltd products and services Eg to corporate members promoting the Directory of Member Practices.
We would, however, prefer you to opt-in so we know we are only sending you exactly what you want to receive.
You will also continue to receive the non-marketing communications listed below.
If you are a CIBSE member you will receive the following non-marketing communications:
- Membership renewals,
- CIBSE Journal (posted copy only),
- receipts for any purchases,
- confirmation of events or training you have registered for,
- AGM notice and other statutory communications.
If you are NOT a CIBSE member you will receive the following non-marketing communications:
- Receipts for any purchases you make,
- confirmation of events or training you have registered for.
What do I do if I want to alter my preferences or I make a mistake?
You can update your preferences at any time. If you save your preferences and change your mind, change them again and save again. You can also sign into your MyCIBSE account and change your preferences via the My Preferences page. Every non-marketing email you receive from CIBSE will have an unsubscribe link at the bottom. This link can also be used to change your preferences at any time.
If I don’t reside in the EU am I affected by GDPR and the opt-in campaign?
The UK is implementing GDPR, and all organisations in the UK are required to implement the regulation. As a data controller, the regulation covers all data CIBSE hold and includes all international contacts.
How can I contact you with additional questions?
You can contact us whenever you need to on +4(0) 20 8772 3647or email [email protected]