The course serves as a introduction to common HVAC systems. Heating, cooling, ventilation and water systems are all covered including important legislation. It reviews principles and provides knowledge and awareness of how and why, many different mechanical building services systems are designed, operated and maintained.
Many people find themselves needing to deal with mechanical building services but have not necessarily received training in mechanical services. Engineering services in buildings are complex and often account for more than 40% of the capital cost of a building. Increasing demands to conserve energy and improve environmental performance mean that good design, efficient operation and reliable maintenance of services have never been more important. An understanding of the issues and their engineering background is exactly what this course intends to achieve.
Day One - Heating
- Heat Transfers in Buildings: How heat is lost from buildings
- How to reduce energy use and calculation of building heat loss
- Abrief review of the latest Building Regulations.
- The increasing importance of ventilation heat loss
- Fresh air requirements & provision of passive cooling.
- Heating Systems
- A review of the advantages & disadvantages of the different types of heating system.
- Plant Sizing and Controls
- Energy Trends
- Boiler Sizing
- Effective & efficient controls & types of control system.
Day Two - Cooling and Air-Conditioning
Session 1: Heat Gains & Assessment of Cooling Loads
- How to calculate a cooling load
- How to reduce cooling & plant requirements.
Session 2: Air Conditioning Systems
- A review of the different a/c systems available & their relative merits
- Latest Developments
Session 3: Types of equipment and standards of use:
- heat exchangers
Session 4: Refrigeration
- Understanding how refrigeration works
- the refrigeration cycle
- plant & equipment
- the issues associated with refrigeration systems
Day Three - Water Services
Session 1: Hot & Cold Water Services:
- An explanation of different water service systems including current developments.
Session 2: Legionnaires Disease
- Explanation of Legionnaires Disease;
- consideration of its wider impact on Building Services Engineering
- professional responsibilities
Session 3: Drainage
- A brief overview of the principles and design of above and below ground drainage systems
Session 4: Building Regulations
- A review of the significant impact of the latest building regulations
- Knowledge of a wide range of different HVAC systems
- Understanding of different system types
- Awareness of how the services integrate with building performance
- Appreciation of technical terminology (jargon!)
- Legislative Requirements
Who Should Attend
The course is ideally suited to those who:
- have been given additional responsibility for mechanical engineering services
- have responsibility for estates and engineering personnel or contractors.
- are Facilities Managers with overall responsibility for buildings and their services.
- are specialist in another branch of engineering but find they now have to understand mechanical services systems (for example Electrical Engineers, part of a multi-discipline team).
Registration is open from 09.00 Start Time: 09:30
Latest finish: 17:00
Members Rate: £1,305 (£1,090 ex VAT)Standard Rate: £1,460 (£1,215 ex VAT)
Ways to Book:
Email: Download Booking Form & email to firstname.lastname@example.org (*invoice / card)
Phone: Call the team on 020 8772 3637 (*invoice / card)
Online: Click the 'Book Now' button at the top right hand side (*card ONLY)
*Payment by invoice is only available to organisations.
Terms and Conditions
- All delegate alterations / cancellations must be received in writing to: email@example.com
- CIBSE have the right to cancel or amend training courses. Please contact the training team before making any travel or accommodation arrangements - particularly if you are travelling from outside the UK mainland, as CIBSE will not be liable for any cost incurred by this.
In-house training at your site
Training multiple staff at once is the most cost effective way to develop staff for organisations. All our courses can be delivered at your site (min 6 staff) at discounted rates. These In-House courses are only available in the Uk and Europe. For an In-house quote please email;
Name of course, approximate number of staff and your site address
To contact the CIBSE Training Team with a query please
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: 020 8772 3637
A1527 CIBSE Member Standard Rate ex VAT £1090.00
A1527 Non Members Standard Rate ex VAT £1215.00